The predecessor of National Taiwan University was Taihoku (Taipei) Imperial University, founded by the Japanese in 1928. The first president was Dr. Shidehara Tan Tairaka Hiroshi. When Taihoku University was first established, it had two colleges: the College of Liberal Arts and Law, and the College of Science and Agriculture, and had a combined total of 60 students. The College of Medicine and the College of Engineering were added in 1936 and 1943 respectively. The College of Science and Agriculture was also divided into two colleges in 1943: the college of Science, and the college of Agriculture. The college of Agriculture was divided into three sections: the College of Agriculture and Forestry, the College of Medicine, and the Graduate Institute of Tropical Medicine.
After World War II and Taiwan’s retrocession to Chinese Sovereignty, the R.O.C. government resumed the administration of Taihoku University and reorganized and renamed it ‘‘National Taiwan University’’ on November 15, 1945, with Dr. Lo Tsung-lo serving as the first president. The College of Liberal Arts and Law was divided into two colleges: the College of Liberal Arts and the College of Law. The University thus consisted of six colleges (Liberal Arts, Law, Science, Medicine, Engineering, and Agriculture) and had twenty-two departments with 500 odd students. In 1999, the College of Social Sciences replaced the College of Law, and the Department of Law was upgraded to become the College of Law. The evening division and the Center of Continuing Education were also combined into the Division of Continuing Education & Professional Development. In 2002, the College of Agriculture was renamed the College of Bio-Resources and Agriculture. In 2003, the College of Life Science was established. As of the 2004 academic year, the University has a total of eleven colleges, 54 departments, 96 graduate institutes (which offer 96 Master’s programs and 83 doctoral programs), and four research centers: the Division of Population and Gender Studies, the Center for Condensed Matter Sciences, the Center for Biotechnology, Japanese Research Center, and the Biodiversity Center. The number of students reached 29,877 in 2004, including the students from the division of Continuing Education & Professional development. A new library was built in 1998, and now contains over 3,000,000 volumes of books.
The Graduate Institute of Environmental Engineering (GIEE) was formerly known as the Division of Sanitary Engineering, Graduate Institute of Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University. In August 1977, GIEE was established by the Ministry of Education for the purpose of creating mature scientists and engineers in the field of Environmental Engineering.
In August 1985, the Ph.D. program was established. At GIEE, basic and applied researches are conducted to solve current and future environmental problems in Taiwan. In August 1998, the master program was divided into two subprograms, the Environmental Science and Engineering and the Environmental Planning and Management. Further in August 1999, the Environmental Planning and Management program established an on-job master program for part-time students.
This Center consists of five research divisions: Instrumental Laboratory, Wastes Minimization and Resources Recovery and Utilization Laboratory, Water and Waste Water Treatment and Advanced Oxidation Technology Laboratory, Environmental Nano-technology Laboratory, and Clean Production and Industrial Ecology Laboratory. The center not only provides services for the research cooperation with government and non-government organizations, industries, and research and academic institutes, but also enhances our educational and research capabilities.